From the heat of Colombia to the cool heights of Peru. One last adventure awaits and we can hardly wait!


We have saved a very special highlight for the end of our trip around the world, which Ben in particular has been looking forward to for a long time. It's no coincidence that our return flight departs from Peru, as we want to go trekking there in a very special way. So we fly from Medellin to Lima, where we board the bus directly to the mountains, more precisely Huaraz. After this exhausting journey - we had been travelling for around 24 hours - we were grateful that we had booked our accommodation in advance.

For once, we are relatively well prepared. As we no longer have unlimited time due to the return flight we have already booked, a novelty for us, we were already in contact with a local family beforehand. We want to buy llamas as pack animals and explore the Andes with them. Yes, you heard right, llamas! The original plan was to buy horses in Central Asia, but that never materialised, so now it will be llamas in South America. And let me tell you one thing: we are no less enthusiastic!

However, as llamas are no longer as common in this area as one might think, we decided to organise a few things in advance so that we could get started relatively quickly.

We are warmly welcomed by Jorge, who among other things runs a hotel in Huaraz, worked as a mountain guide for a long time and even spent a few years working in Austria when he was younger. He is also the head of the association that owns the llamas, two of which we will buy. We have him and his daughter-in-law Yessica to thank for everything working out so well in the end. They are both committed and do everything they can to help us realise our little dream. We found a place in his hotel for the first week of training. We hire a 'lamero' to teach us the most important things about handling llamas. He has already captured two llamas for us in the mountains and brought them to his village.

Early the next morning, we board a minibus for the 40-minute journey to the village. Once there, we get to see the two llamas for the first time, who are quite nervous and always want to stay as far away from us as possible. This is going to be fun... But first we have to do the paperwork and officially buy the llamas. Everything is neatly noted down and after the money has been counted, hands are shaken, a small ceremony is held and we are the proud owners of two llamas. Who would have thought it? We then set off on our first hike. The llamas don't really want to be led by us yet and the thin air at this altitude is a real challenge. We arrive back in Huaraz in the afternoon completely exhausted and are glad to be able to relax in our accommodation.

The next day we practise packing the llamas, which they don't find at all funny. Due to corona and other factors, there have not been many treks in recent years, so the llamas are no longer used to this procedure. With a lot of patience, however, it works and we learn how to lash the boxes and bags with the ropes so that they sit well and don't slip. We then set off on another hike, which takes us to a lagoon with flamingos. We really like the landscape and our anticipation for the upcoming tour grows even more.

Packing works a little better every day. The llamas are slowly getting used to us and no longer flinch every time we touch them. On the other hand, the hikes are now getting longer and longer and we cover significantly greater distances than we had imagined. But even if it is exhausting, it helps to prepare us for the heights that await us. Tiredness usually overcomes us on the return journey in the minibus, where we often fall asleep. Unless the capacity is so exhausted that Sara has to make do with a stool in the aisle. Welcome to South America.

After three days with the llamas, we now have a rest day. An important meeting is taking place in the village of our 'lamero' Alejandro, so training has to be put on hold for a while. We use the time to go on our first shopping trip to the local market. The most important stop for today is at the veterinary pharmacy. What sounds very sterile is nothing more than a stall, but we have a few things to buy there. To prepare the llamas optimally for the tour, we give them extra vitamins and iron. So we buy syringes and the necessary supplements. Even though the seller is a little irritated at first that we are buying all this for our own llamas, Sara masters this challenging conversation in Spanish with flying colours.

Back with the llamas, it's time to administer injections the next day. Even though Sara is used to doing this, she has never done it with animals before, let alone with llamas. First of all, our two four-legged friends have to be properly restrained. To do this, they are held by the ears and their necks are brought into a horizontal position. Once this is done, the llamas are completely calm and allow the procedure to take its course. Under expert guidance, they are successfully injected. One last walk in company and we are ready for the upcoming tour!

We do one last tour of the market, pack our boxes and go to the restaurant for one last meal. The anticipation is huge and at the same time we are a little nervous as to whether everything will work out with the two llamas. Excited, we slip under our blankets once more before the big adventure starts early the next morning.